Friday, January 14, 2005

Au pair

Hello, my name is Jana. I am a 23 year old au pair girl from the Netherlands. I have traveled to UK and Italy as an au pair last years after I graduated from college and loved it. That's why I'd like to try it again. I studied to be a kindergarden teacher at the university and taking some time off for more hands on experience and get to know new cultures. I love children of any age and I am very creative when it comes to the activities. I like to color, paint, make crafts, read books, go to the park and take long walks with the kids. I like reading, music and play the piano.Both of my host families worked out great for me. I think being an aupair is a very rewarding experience if you like kids. It is the best way for me to learn different languages and get to know new cultures.I have experience with kids aged newborn to 12. I looked after 2 kids for 1 of my host families and 3 for the other family. I'd make their beds, get them ready for school, do their laundry, drop them at the school and pick them up. I also did some light cooking for the children.My English is pretty good and Italian is above average. Next year I am planning to be an au pair again. I have not decided exactly where I want to go. I am open to any suggestions including UK and Italy again. I liked both countries a lot and people were very nice. I am researching the options for Switzerland, Spain, and even Australia and New Zeland.

1 comment:

Jana said...

I have gathered some useful information for my fellow au pair friends. I hope these tips help you with your host family.

When I got my first au pair job, there wasn't any resource to help me out. I had to figure out everything on my own. I think the most important thing to be a happy au pair is the respect between the au pair and the host family. You and the family live in the same house like most of us live with our parents now. We have to obey the rules of the house and live as a part of the family in that house with the host family. Our parents have rules in the house, calling in if we will be late or cleaning up after meals and doing things around the house. In return, the host family should treat the au pair as a part of the family and be include the au pair in activities and such.

Another immportant thing is communication. If there is a problem, it should be resolved by talking to each other. This is the only way to let each other know if something is bothering either the au pair or the host family. Do not let anything bother you for a long time becase it would only get worse if you don't take care of the problem when they arise.

Keep in mind that take your time when finding a family. Correspond with them and talk about everything, their lifestyle, children's habits, what they expect and tell them what you expect from them. If you want to go to a language school, make sure they locate one before you sign up for the job. Make sure you can get to the school by bus or car (if provided and can drive) and your schedule will allow you to go to the school.