Friday, September 14, 2007

Homesickness

Most au pairs are young women who are separated from their family for the first time. Homesickness is a big issue for many of the au pairs I got to know. If you are feeling homesick, you are not alone. My solution to homesickness was to surround myself with other au pairs. I feel better when I am surrounded with people I have something in common with. In this case, it's homesickness. As I made more friends and got to know my environment I felt better and started enjoying the au pair experience more.

I think it's a good idea to make a list of the goals you wanna achieve during your stay in a foreign country. Is it learning a new language, culture, see new places, improve your childcare skills...? Look at the list once a week, keep a diary or a blog! It's a great idea to take a look at the list once a week and record what you have done to accomplish your goals. When there are goals to accomplish you can look into the future and see how much you can gain by this experience. This will give you the strength to go on and enjoy your time in a new country.

No comments: