Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Too many kids to take care of?

I have received an email from an au pair who is currently in the US. She is happy with the family however she sounds a bit overwhelmed with the number of children she is taking care of. She states there are 4 children in her charge and it can get hectic sometimes.

I know that having to take care of 4 children can be a bit too much for most au pairs. I know of other au pairs who had 3-4 children in their care and they were always busy with one of the children or all of them. Even though there are countless mothers with more than four children, for a young woman it can be tough. That's why it is so important to figure out your limits before accepting a job. I realise most aupairs are more concerned with getting a job in a place that she or he likes. These things may seem like a minor issues, but they are not. That's why it is so important to resolve these while interviewing with the family. Ask for each child's routine and make sure you can take care of all of the things on the list before accepting a job. Trying to change jobs after settling with a family is much harder than doing a complete interview.

1 comment:

Max Lazerev said...

:) When I was Au Pair in USA, I had 6 children :). _6_ boys. It was a crazy time. After 6 month I change family. And the 6 month was happy with 2 children :).